Sunday, August 19, 2012

summer desserts: parfait

One fun thing about having to go gluten and lactose free is forcing myself to experiment with new recipes. I do like cooking, though I often have to remind myself of that when the busy days get in the way.

It's been extremely warm here in the last week and I was craving something sweet and fruity. I found a recipe for berry parfaits that used granola and pudding. I already have granola on hand all the time (my Sunday ritual involves making granola for the week), but I haven't ever made pudding before.

I found a few recipes and messed around with them to ensure they are allergy friendly, and here's the final product! (Ensure your ingredients are gluten and lactose free.)


Ingredients:


  • 3 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 cups Lactaid milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Prep:
  1. In a separate bowl, combine corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water. Mix until dissolved.
  2. In a small sauce pan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Over low heat, gradually stir in the milk. Keep over low heat for around five minutes; do not let it boil.
  3. Remove pan from heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Continue stirring until chocolate chips are melted.
  4. Add corn starch mixture and vanilla to the sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Continue stirring. Cook until the mixture thickens (it will continue to thicken as it cools). Once it reaches the thickness you prefer, transfer the mixture into a large bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the pudding surface to keep it from forming a thick skin.
  5. Let set for 20 minutes; then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.


I will eventually write down how I've been making granola and post the recipe for that as well. (Let me know if you are wanting it now and I'll email you the general idea of how I've been making it.)

Once your pudding is chilled, put a spoonful at the bottom of a decorative glass. Make a layer of fruit over the top of it, and then a handful of granola. Continue to layer pudding, fruit, and granola until you reach the top of the glass. Place some fruit at the top to make it look pretty, and then have fun devouring it!






No comments: