Monday, February 17, 2014

memories and maple syrup: a paleo barbecue sauce recipe

I've never been a fan of barbecue sauce. Living in Reno for so long, I always loved the summer activities. The Balloon Races, Hot August Nights, the Air Races...and the Rib Cook-off. With 500,000 visitors and dozens of barbecue-rs each year, I was bound to eventually find a sauce that tasted right to me.

Ribs + friends = a good day

I remember the year I finally found a sauce that I liked! After getting married and moving, my mom would get me a bottle nearly every summer to put in my Christmas stocking.


The only barbecue sauce I've ever liked!

After going gluten and corn free, most sauces were suddenly not safe for me to consume. Most of them contain soy sauce (which has wheat) or corn syrup or maltodextrin, which are all red flags in our household.

My hubby does enjoy a good barbecue sandwich occasionally, though, so finding a safe version was something I always knew I would eventually need to find. In doing so, I realized that I could make a version that I might actually enjoy too!

I've always liked my barbecue sauce more sweet than tangy, so I tried experimenting with maple syrup. You could probably use honey in lieu of the maple if you prefer a more honey mustard-y vibe. (I'll probably try it next time I make this.) Hope you enjoy, and let me know if you try it with a different combination!

Paleo pork sandwiches with the maple barbecue sauce!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup ketchup (I use Organicville, which is gluten and corn free!)
  • 4 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup 100% maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onion or onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon ground mustard 
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Use immediately or refrigerate in a glass jar for later use.



No comments: