Saturday, July 12, 2014

reno refreshments: a gluten (and corn) free guide to eating in reno, part 2

The Reno restaurant scene is growing steadily, especially in the new midtown area. It is this section of town that we found several amazing new restaurants to try out during our stay in Reno.

This is Part 2 of my guide to eating gluten (and corn) free in Reno. Click here to check out Part 1!

One of the restaurants that I have heard about over and over again is Great Full Gardens. A locally owned restaurant, Great Full Gardens makes use of local vendors as well as their own organic greenhouse grown produce. Their restaurant caters to people with various dietary restrictions, as well as those who are looking for sustainable and ecologically-friendly businesses at which to eat.

The first time we visited Great Full Gardens was during breakfast. This being my first time, I asked a lot of questions. Any time the server didn't know the answer, she patiently went and talked to the cooks. They were open, knowledgeable, and flexible. They had several gluten free options, but only a few that were corn free as well. We worked together to create a safe meal out of various menu items, and it was delicious! I basically ordered a combination between the Juli's Saute with lemon oil and the Papusa (it ended up being a mostly Juli's, with eggs and black beans sans salsa, which contains citric acid). The breakfast was delicious and had the perfect blend of veggies and grains/legumes.

The second time we ate at Great Full Gardens was during dinner. We had a large party and I wasn't sure I'd have the same luck with creating something off menu to serve my restrictions, but I was not disappointed! When our server had some questions, one of the owners came to our table and personally answered my questions without making me feel like I was inconveniencing her in any way. We ended up modifying the Chicken Bliss and turning it into a lettuce wrap. They grilled the chicken separately, without their usual corn-containing broth, and I went without the bacon due to cross contamination concerns. Their homemade aioli sauce was more than enough to make up for the lack of broth, and the wrap was fabulous!

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone with food allergies, as they have proven that they will go out of their way to try and accommodate you as long as you know what questions to ask!


No comments: